Bulimia Symptoms are often difficult to see in the early stages because the behavior is usually very secretive and lots of bulimics are within their normal weight range for in terms of their height and age.
The main symptom or Characteristic of Bulimia is the binging and purging in which an excessive amount of food is eaten followed by certain behaviours, commonly known as purging, to prevent weight gain. These include self induced vomiting, misuse of laxatives and diuretics, fasting and excessive exercise.
Whilst a binge is normally considered to be eating huge quantities of food at any one time, a person who suffers from bulimia may not always do binge-eating especially when with company; it is just too much for them. If rule of diet requirement is broken, that person tends to consume more than he or she wants that may look quite normal to an onlooker. So, making a diagnosis on food intake alone can be difficult.
There are however some specific warning signs including:
- An obsession with weight, shape and size
- Constant dieting
- The disappearance of large amounts of food
- A preference to eat alone
- Almost always going to the bathroom after eating– hearing running water is common to cover up the noise of vomiting.
- Weight swings and fast weight loss if an individual has both bulimia and anorexia (eating disorders that usually coexist)
- Spending less time with family and friends so becoming isolated and withdrawn
- Mood Swings
- Calluses and cuts on the backs of hands and knuckles
- Erosion or loss of tooth enamel, tooth decay and tooth loss
If you suspect that a person is exhibiting some bulimia symptoms encourage them to seek help. If you have symptoms yourself or have realized that you have bulimia eating disorder, seek for help. Bulimia negatively affects all areas of your life and its long term effects can be destructive.
Bulimia Recovery Coach
Julie won a 15 year battle with bulimia over 30 years ago and now mentors and coaches others to bulimia freedom. She is a compassionate, caring bulimia recovery coach who brings a unique and powerful perspective on recovery that has helped people from all walks of life, not just stop bingeing and purging but learn how to love themselves and their bodies and create a life they love.